Clutter can be detrimental to your success.
A messy desk and office may seem normal, but it is a problem that can make you less successful.
According to the National Association of Professional Organizations, paper clutter is the number 1 problem for most businesses. Studies show the average person wastes 4.3 hours per week searching for papers, which not only adds stress and frustration, but it also deters concentration and creative thinking.
Studies also show that 75% or more of all physician visits are stress-related, so when you unclutter your office, you will not only increase productivity, security, and profits but reduce overall stress and medical care costs.
Stop the Clutter
Here are a few ideas on stopping the clutter and getting organized practically.
- Make a commitment to getting clutter under control. Make an appointment with yourself daily and weekly. Every night before you go home, unclutter your desk so that 80% of your desk shows. Every week, pick a day to organize your desk a little longer.
- Get rid of anything on your desk that you don’t use regularly. This is the first step to uncluttering your office area.
- Limit the number of personal items, such as photographs and knick-knacks. Try to stick with one or two items so you don’t get distracted and to free up more space.
- Instead of dumping papers in piles on the desk, use a desktop organizer and color-coded files. Be diligent about filing when new papers come into your office. If you get behind a little, try to end the day by organizing them into the appropriate folders.
- Try to handle emails and papers only once. Decide how to respond right away, so you don’t have to rethink it and stash it somewhere on your desk.
- Have permanent places to store ink cartridges and other office supplies so you can easily see what you need and what you already have. When things get messy, it’s easy to re-purchase items because you aren’t aware you already have them.
- Shred old papers that are no longer needed. This is a great way to stay on top of the clutter.
- Try to eliminate sticky notes, as they make things messy and cluttered. Make files on the computer if you need to recall something. Or have a notebook with passwords and other important information you may need.
No matter if your desk and office are slightly messy or are disaster areas, learning to unclutter will help ease your mind and make you more efficient. At our printing firm, we get things done efficiently and professionally. We are here to help you stay on top of your latest projects. Reach out today!